With the amount of time many of us spend driving, it is not unusual for a traffic violation to be committed, perhaps without the driver even realizing it. Traffic violations range from the minor, like an improper U-turn, to the serious, but even lesser offenses can carry unpleasant consequences.
Learning more about the most common violations can help you drive more safely, avoid citations, and prevent harm to yourself and others on the road. Read through the following to find out more about some of the most frequently-committed traffic violations and their consequences.
- Speeding: Speeding citations are the most commonly issued type of ticket. Penalties vary by state, but a fine is usually the only repercussion and all drivers do have the option to appeal the citation.
- Disobeying Signs, Right of Way Laws: Aggressive driving includes cutting off another driver and running a red light or stop sign. The laws regarding aggressive driving also vary by state, but being from out of town does not excuse you from facing the local consequences.
- Cell Phone Usage: Several states have prohibited the use of cell-phones while driving unless you are using a hands-free device. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has a complete list by state of cell phone and texting laws and restriction.
- Violating License and Registration Requirements: Your vehicle registration, driver’s license, and insurance paperwork all must be up-to-date and easily accessible. It is illegal to operate a car if any of these are expired, and if you are pulled over, you may be facing a fine and potential confiscation of your car.
- Driving Under the Influence: A DUI is a very serious driving offense, and a charge will result in an arrest, a likely suspension of your license, and a criminal hearing. If you are convicted of a DUI, you may also be facing a lengthy jail sentence.
What you do in the first seven (7) days after your DUI arrest is critical in protecting your rights and your privilege to drive.
If you’d like more information about how to handle a traffic violation or potential DUI charge, contact The Orr Law Firm. The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C. is the premier DUI defense law firm in Denver and Colorado and focuses exclusively on DUI and criminal traffic defense. Call us today at (720) 279-9588.
The materials available at this website are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use and access to this website or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.